Saturday, November 10, 2007

And another thing about music

I was at a club last night, a gay club, if you must know, and there was one song that particularly caught my attention. I admit, it was hard to tear my gaze away from all the straight girls grinding on each other and smushing their faces into the pole - why do you do this? who do you think's going to be watching?
A bunch of not-amused dykes, is who.

Anyway, the song itself was a remix of Destiny Child's Independent Women combined with the chorus from Jackson's Billie Jean. So, that's a song about the joy and pride of being independent from any man, of making it on your own, matched up with a song about trapping a man to make him support you.
The unfortunate part is that I doubt the dj was doing it on purpose for some sort of cultural irony or even a "look how far we've come" progressive performance piece. I think he just liked the beats.

No comments: