Friday, November 16, 2007

I loved Tully's Coffee

Speaking of Tully’s coffee and discontinued items, they got rid of the Soy Swirkle!

That’s right, the glorious Soi Suwaakuru, a frosty concoction like a vanilla milkshake, but soy! With coffee! It was so good I always went out of my way to find a Tully’s and order it. If it wasn’t too late in the day – I don’t drink a lot of caffeine. And if I wasn’t feeling annoyed by the price tag - 350-yen for a small, a small! So, I probably ordered it 5 times total in 2 years. But I thought about ordering it at least three times that. Because it was soy, and not the “chicken-flavored soy hamburger” type of soy, but actual no-milk soy. How do I know?
I asked.

Actual Conversation:

Me: Hi, is the Soi Suwaakuru made with milk?
Staff (not an actor!): No.
Me: No milk?
Staff: No.

But, actually, looking back, that was probably the abridged conversation. The unabridged conversation probably would’ve gone along these lines:

Note: Product may be substituted for reader empathy.

Me: Hi, is the pizza made with milk?
Staff (professional actor): No.
Me: No milk?
Staff: No.
Me: You’re sure? No milk at all? None whatsoever?
Staff: None, I make it myself [wink to audience].
Me: In the pizza? Really? What’re the ingredients?
Staff: Flour, water, tomatoes, salt, oregano, and cheese.
Me: Cheese is a milk product. It’s made with milk.
Staff: Duh.
Me: So, the pizza is made with milk.
Staff: No, it’s made with cheese. You don’t make pizza with milk, you make it with cheese [taps finger on counter].
Me: Right, but, there is milk in the cheese, so that means it’s in the pizza, too.
Staff: Really, I wouldn’t call what we use in the kitchen ‘milk.’ I’d call it cheese.
Me: But the milk in the cheese doesn’t go anywhere! There’s milk in the pizza!
Staff: Well of course there’s milk in the pizza, it’s made with cheese [eyeroll].
Me: Isn’t that what I asked?
Staff: You asked if it was made with milk. I thought you wanted a ‘milk pizza’ or something!

Really, the Soi Suwaakuru was probably made with milk that had been separated to remove the water and add more milk in its place, thus making it technically ‘not milk.’

No comments: